Yesterday was one of the darkest days for religious liberty in America. 49 out of 50 Democrat senators and 12 out of 50 Republican senators turned their backs on the institution of marriage and voted “yes” to pass the misnamed Respect for Marriage Act (RMA). The legislation now goes to the House, where it will likely be passed, and then onto the President for his final signature.
Sadly, three amendments proposed by several Republicans that would have protected religious rights were voted down by a virtually unanimous block of Democrat senators. The proponents insisted they were merely trying to protect same-sex marriages, but same-sex marriage is under no imminent threat. Instead, the bill struck a dangerous blow against Americans’ fundamental right of religious freedom, and the potential ramifications are distressing.
This legislation puts a bull’s eye on the backs of millions of Americans who passionately believe in marriage as the union of one man and one woman. This bill just weaponized a woke posse to go after anyone who wants to simply follow their religious conscience.
We already live in a cancel culture where Christians are constantly attacked for their religious convictions. This Act will only add fuel to this blazing fire of harassment. Here are just some of the possible implications if RMA becomes law.
- It will make it easier to override legal protections for religious freedom.
- It sets the stage for government agencies to proclaim, and courts to find, a governmental “compelling interest” that justifies forcing religious entities to recognize same-sex marriages.
- It takes a step toward revoking the tax-exempt status of religious organizations whose views do not align with the LGBTQ agenda.
- It could force faith-based foster and adoption care agencies to place children with same-sex couples.
- It could mandate that religious organizations hire and retain staff who publicly repudiate the entity's beliefs about traditional marriage.
While we have, and will continue to, defend the inherent dignity and value of all human life, we must also uphold the institutions that our Lord has created for us. The sacred marital union between one man and one woman is one of these institutions. While the Senate may disavow God’s design of marriage, we, as Christians, must continue to honor it at all costs and not remain silent when our religious freedoms are blatantly disregarded.
Please join us in contacting the senators who courageously defended marriage and our religious freedoms and voted against this horrendous legislation.
A joint statement by Dr. James Dobson and Mr. Gary Bauer.